These mouth-watering vegan bacon crumbles are a must-have for throwing onto things like our Savory Breakfast Casserole, or Easy Pizza.
They’re super easy to make, and give you the delicious crunch addition to any meal that suits a lil’ bacon.
Plus you can keep them on hand in your fridge for 4-5 days!
Quick Mouth Watering Vegan Bacon Crumbles
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
ACTIVE TIME: 30 minutes
MAKES 2 CUPS
- One 8-oz. Package tempeh (soy-free if necessary)
- ¼ cup liquid aminos (or gluten-free tamari; use coconut aminos to be soy-free)
- ¼ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Black pepper to taste
- Line a plate with paper towels. Crumble the tempeh into small pieces and set aside.
- Combine the liquid aminos, broth, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the liquid smoke, maple syrup, cumin, and garlic powder in a cup. Stir until combined.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large frying pan, preferably cast iron, over medium heat. Add the tempeh crumbles and toss to coat in oil. Cook for about 1 minute, then add the sauce. Cook, stirring every few minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed and the tempeh is tender with a crispy exterior.
- Transfer the tempeh to the prepared plate to absorb any excess oil. Sprinkle with black pepper. Serve immediately. Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.