Vegan Recipe: Cream of Mushroom SoupCreated on
Everyone loves the earthy flavour of a home-made cream of mushroom soup. Even better when it’s healthy for you, vegan, and easy to make!
Walk into the kitchen, throw some ingredients together, and voila – yummy soup!
Cream of Mushroom Soup
PREP TIME: 8 minutes
ACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes
INACTIVE TIME: 30 minutes
- ½ large (1½- to 2 lb) head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 teaspoons vegan butter (soy-free if necessary)
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms (or button mushrooms), sliced
- 2 teaspoons liquid aminos (or gluten-free tamari; use coconut aminos to be soy-free)
- ½ cup raw cashews (if you don’t have a high-speed blender, soak in warm water for at least 30 minutes and drain; discard the water)
- 1 cup unsweetened nondairy milk (soy-free if necessary)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Place the cauliflower in a steamer basket over a pot of boiling water and cover. Steam the cauliflower until tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and liquid aminos and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Combine the steamed cauliflower, cashews, milk, nutritional yeast, arrowroot powder, thyme, garlic powder, and salt in a blender and blend until smooth. Add the mushrooms (and if desired, their cooking liquid) and pulse until they’re in small bits incorporated throughout. You can use the soup right away in a recipe.
- If you are not using it right away, let it cool completely before transferring to an airtight container. The soup will keep for 5 to 7 days in the fridge or 2 months in the freezer. If you freeze it, let it thaw completely before using.
Turn this into the type of soup you eat in a bowl (novel idea, I know, but settle down, casserole lover): Combine the soup with 2 cups water or low-sodium vegetable broth in a pot and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through.